Friday, October 17, 2008

The Right Tool is so important...

How many times have you tried to do a job with the wrong tool? Maybe it wasnt even a "wrong" tool, just not the right tool or the best tool. Well, today I was able to see first hand how important it is to have the right tool for each job that you do.

I began the day today with a messy yard and many overgrown trees in the side and back yard. I called up a man in my church who owns a lawn business. He had nothing to do this morning and so he brought over all of his equipment.

He had everything from the right mower, the right weed-eater, the right chain saw, the right truck, and the right blower.

We began working this morning about 10:30am and by 12:30 we were done. The work that we accomplished in just two hours would have taken me almost two days to accomplish without the "right tools".

I cannot imagine using my little saw or my hedge trimmers and a ladder to slowly take down the palm branches that easily came down with a brush of the extended chain saw. That tree alone would have taken hours, yet with the right tool it took just a few moments.

It would have been quite frustrating to try to load a mountain of brush into trash cans and then figure out when to put it all out by the road...

I think you get the picture.

This made me think: How many times in life do we use the wrong tool? How many times do we endure frustration and waste a lot of time because we are not using the best tools. Whether we are in ministry and talkins about different administrative processes or at home trying to clean up a mess with the wrong tools.

Maybe it would be worth the investment in time and money to get the right tools for the jobs we are seeking to accomplish.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

My father-n-law and husband have this saying, "Work smarter not harder." There have been several times where I have struggled with a task and Brian will say, "here do this...work smarter not harder." Anyways your story made me think of that.